Ever wondered calculating distance between places on the earth by simply sitting on your living room couch?
Yes, that’s really possible!
Using Google map anyone can measure the distance between two or more points on the map.
Let’s check how we do that from a computer and a mobile device probably Android.
On the computer
- Open your web browser, go to Google Maps
- Right-click on any point on the map. From here the measurement will start.
- Choose Measure distance.
- Click anywhere on the map to create a path to measure. To add another point click another place.
- At the bottom, we can see the distance in meters(m) or kilometres(km) or feet(ft). If it’s a closed path you will get to see the total area and total distance.
Close the popup when it’s done clicking on the x icon.
On the Mobile device
When it comes to mobile devices it’s possible by the mobile apps. Let’s open the Google Map application.
- Long click on any place from where we could to start the measurement. It shows a marker.
- Click the card or information box shown below, It would give details and other options of that place. Click the measure distance option with a ruler icon.
- You will see something like the image shown below, now start measuring distance using the rear site icon by moving in a different location. Tapping on the map will give breakpoints. Great, final measurements will be shown at the bottom.
Note: Using this measurement technique the actual air distance between places can easily be calculated beside the road distance.